Thursday, July 8, 2010

first day of non public school

Well, i got up early tuesday morning to get ready for the big day, and,,, he wouldn't go. Iwasnt all that surprised, he told me the day before he wasnt going, he also wouldnt go do bloodwork, so then I had to take him off the lithium, and called for a replacement, meanwhile I am not giving him the adhd med since that can lead to agression, which obviously we dont want to do in an already agressive violent type. He was pretty defiant most of the day, trying to control things, which is the RAD, we had started RAD therapy couple of months ago,but he wouldnt participate much of the time, so I stopped. Its really hard to find a RAD therapist, and I had high hopes for the therapy, but oh well, just another let down. By the end of the day, he was calm, and we, much to my surprise, had a conversation about mental Illness without arguing, then he asked me to watch a special about it with him, amazing. then he went to bed, and the next morning got up and I took him to school. I left there at 9 oclock, and 1 hour 15 minutes later I had the first call from school.
The big difference now is they are not asking me to come pick him up, they are just letting me know whats going on! I'm sure part of his plan in being defiant was he thought he would get picked up, thats what happens in public school, but not now, this is the big league, these people will actually handle the problem!!WOW!!
He didnt actually have any class time, but came home on the van with the other kids, had some time in therapy with the DR of the school.
That evening we talked with him about school and he informed us he wasnt going the next day, and next morning, sure enough, refuses to go again..
also refused the consequence for refusing to go to school, which is staying in his room, so now I have a defiant child who pretty much does what he wants!

Since I am stillwaiting to get a new med and get him stable on it, I am not pushing any unpleasant issues with him, in fear he'll escalate into an episode where he wants to kill me again.
It sure is a slow process.

No comments:

Post a Comment